Thursday, April 23, 2009

Compulsive studying versus Encouraging learning

Imagine- A typical scene at home before school feedback and assessment time. When the mother is coaxing her child to do his homework. Struggling by all means to get him to study and revise. Trying it all - persuading, negotiating, shouting, threatening and sweating it out to get him to sit on his desk, but to no avail. The stress levels are high, so are the sound levels arising out of the confrontation. The child has a strong resolve. He is adamant - come what may, no one is going to succeed in getting him to sit and learn. He has a far more important agenda – playing. How can anything else come in the way? How can he allow study to interrupt his precious play time? Studying just doesn’t figure in his scheme of things.

Familiar sight, isn’t it? There is a sense of desperation on both ends. While the child is exercising all his defiance, the mother is left feeling helpless and in extreme anxiety. This is without doubt a consequence of studying which feels compulsive: Rigid, unbending and strict. It’s got to be done in a certain way, no choice given there.

Compare that to a diverse learning pattern. Where learning is encouraged by implementing an innovative and efficient way of teaching. Through educational content which is enjoyable and everlasting. Whereby the student is self-motivated to learn. Whereby self-learning becomes a new found way of gaining knowledge.

Mexus Education has pioneered a soon to be introduced edutainment tool, a revolution in the education scenario. So there are no more quarrels at the desk. So that learning is encouraged to be enjoyed.

3 comments:

  1. I remember I used to enjoy reading Anu Club adventures in Tinkle comics where I wouldn’t feel I’m forced to study concepts and loved bragging to my parents later about the concepts I learnt ;) Learning through comic text books would be a welcome change from the traditional by-rote learning that kids are forced to even now. If I feel it was difficult yesterday, it is even worse today in the age of Pokemon computer games, Balika Vadhu, Summer Activity shows all vying for kids’ attention. I have experienced the trouble my sister goes through in teaching my nephew. He can’t be coaxed in to studying for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be fun for sure. I had been passionate about reading comics but I get scolded every time my mom catch me reading one red handed. What could be more satisfying for her if she would come to know I am not passing time with any other comics but its my curriculum textbook. Full marks to the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh someone is blogging about school days! How reminiscing! Telling it like it was. I am tempted to share my feelings – going down memory lane…

    As a student, I detested Maths. I used to freak seeing those numbers and the complexities that arose out of them. (No, I was not a dyslexic, making that clear before your mind wanders and co-relates with Taare Zameen Par). But I had some kind of phobia with words like Geometry, Algebra, Trignometry and the types. I shuddered thinking about those dreadful periods. And shiver during their exams. Though I was quite a pet with most of my teachers, I always found myself in trouble with my Maths teachers. I hardly did their homework. I always spoke ill of them (though very innocently). How I wished we were allowed calculators like the American students. How I wish there were interesting ways in which I could do Maths wholeheartedly rather than doing it for the sake of it. Honestly, it did seem a tedious 'compulsive'daily chore. Given a choice I would never do it. It never made sense.
    Thank you for bringing up the topic of school life. I am sure a lot of readers will have amusing experiences of their own to share. Good Luck to Axiom Education for their breakthrough. Whatever it may be, I hope the Maths and all its siblings do become interesting!

    ReplyDelete